Applications Open for Wage Subsidy Program for Businesses Impacted by the Key Bridge Collapse

Crest of the City of Baltimore

Brandon M. Scott
Mayor,
Baltimore City
250 City Hall - Baltimore Maryland 21202
(410) 396-3835 - Fax: (410) 576-9425

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 

BALTIMORE, MD (Tuesday, April 16, 2024) – Today, Mayor Brandon M. Scott announced that applications are open for the Port Business Wage Subsidy program. Administered by the Baltimore City Mayor’s Office of Employment Development (MOED), the program will grant a total of $1,000,000 in wage subsidies to Port businesses to support incumbent employees affected by the Key Bridge collapse.

Businesses can go to bit.ly/bmorewage to apply or contact wagesubsidy@baltimorecity.gov for assistance.

"We've implemented this key program to support Port workers impacted by this crisis and ensure that businesses impacted, particularly small businesses, can access assistance to make it through this uncertain time," said Mayor Brandon M. Scott. "We remain steadfast in our commitment to working with businesses and workers every step of the way in this recovery process. I have no doubt that we will overcome this tragedy and build a better Baltimore, together."

Businesses may receive up to three subsidies, with each subsidy totaling $7,500. A business may receive a maximum of $22,500 in subsidies under this grant. The subsidy application period began on Monday, April 15, 2024 and will remain open as long as funds are available.

“We are incredibly committed to serving the businesses and workers impacted by this tragedy. As we work with our partners at every level of government, we will keep a people-first approach and move forward with the economic prosperity of our city in mind,” said MacKenzie Garvin, Esq., Director of the Mayor’s Office of Employment Development.

The program underscores Baltimore City’s commitment to supporting those affected by this tragic event. The initial tranche of $1 million for the wage subsidy program was approved at the April 3rd Board of Estimates meeting. The Scott administration is examining how to move an additional $1M to the program in the coming weeks.

The Port Business Wage Subsidy program is just one of the economic supports available to businesses and residents that have been impacted by the collapse of the Key Bridge. Last week, Mayor Brandon M. Scott released the Key Bridge Response 2024 Action Plan detailing available resources.

Related Stories

Spring Into Action! Register Now for Mayor Scott's Spring Cleanup

Brandon M. Scott, alongside the Baltimore City Department of Public Works (DPW), Baltimore City Department of Transportation (DOT), and the Mayor's Office of Community Affairs invites residents to join the 2- 25 Mayor's Annual Spring Cleanup and Day of Service on Saturday, April 26, from 9 a.m.

 

Mayor Scott Announces City Budget for Fiscal Year 2026

Mayor Brandon M. Scott released his proposed city budget for Fiscal Year 2026.

 

Baltimore City Mayor's Office of LGBTQ Affairs and Maryland Safe Haven Host Trans Day of Visibility Event

The Baltimore City Mayor's Office of LGBTQ Affairs, in partnership with Maryland Safe Haven, successfully hosted its Trans Day of Visibility (TDOV) celebration, bringing together community members, advocates, and leaders to honor, uplift, and advocate for the transgender and nonbinary community.